Speak OUT Youth Ambassadors
Call for Applicants
Deadline: Friday, May 30, 2014
Individuals are strongly encouraged to submit their applications before the final deadline.
AIDS United has joined Greater Than AIDS, along with the National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS Directors (NASTAD), and Black AIDS Institute, to invite and encourage young gay men and other men who have sex with men (MSM) to participate in a Speak OUT Youth Workshop.
All applicants must be willing and able to participate September 4 – 7, 2014 in Washington, DC. Costs associated with the summit (travel, accommodations, per diem) will be covered by Greater Than AIDS.
Men of all races, sero-status and geographic locations are welcome to apply. Special consideration will be given to Black and Latino gay men/MSM and southern jurisdictions due to disproportionate rates of HIV among these populations.
About Speak OUT
Speak Out is a new campaign by Greater Than AIDS that encourages more open communication about HIV among gay and bisexual men in relationships, with health care providers and within the community generally. More info www.greaterthan.org/speakout
About the Youth Summit
With an emphasis on creative utilization of social media as the cornerstone of this program, NASTAD, BAI, AIDS United, and Greater Than AIDS are seeking youth leaders to use the power of their personal stories to reduce the spread of HIV among young gay and bisexual men.
Selected participants will engage in an informative exchange to produce personal videos that capture the experiences of young gay and bisexual men in relation to HIV, in order to inspire peers to understand their risk and seek testing, treatment, care and support.
Required Criteria for Applicants
- Male between the ages of 18 and 25
- Self-identify as gay, bisexual, or same-gender-loving
- Doing community work to benefit gay men/MSM
- Engaged in social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube
- Willing to record and share self-produced video describing personal experiences related to HIV on social media.
- Committed to recruiting 12-15 peers to share their own stories on social media.
Selected Youth Ambassadors may be asked to participate on an ongoing basis via:
- Quarterly conference calls
- Engagement via various NASTAD, BAI, AIDS United, and Greater Than AIDS-sponsored social media formats
- Providing regular updates concerning the progress of your community-based work.
To Apply and For More Information
· Complete & submit online application by May 30, 2014 (including Video Statement & Letter of Recommendation) at: http://bit.ly/1gWs64o
· Please contact Trina Scott, Program Officer at email@example.com if you have any questions.